Friday, June 3, 2011

Day Eighty-three

Jehovah Jireh

As I’ve mentioned earlier, my husband is currently out of a job.  One day we walked down into our basement and found that sewage water had backed up into our home.  Now, this is a great nuisance for anyone.  But when your husband is out of a job, it is not only a nuisance but a grave financial concern.  It just so happened that a few days prior, someone had felt led to give us $200.  Thus, our prayer was that it wouldn’t cost more than this.   Because it was the second time this year that we were having to fix such a problem, we wondered if it could even be unclogged.  So our other prayer was that it could be fixed without having to be dug up, as that would be extremely expensive.  We waited, prayed and wondered how God would pull us out of this one. 
Well, Mr. Plumber showed up and  worked and worked.  Finally, he finished and I internally held my breath for the verdict:  He said, "I really had a hard time unclogging it; at one point, I thought it wasn't going to happen.  Finally, though, I was able to cut through the bad spot... I’m not sure how long it’ll last though—it is definitely a temporary fix.”
Temporary, but fixed.  We’ll take it.  Jehovah Jireh to the rescue.
"Since we weren't able to clean the line as well as I would have liked, I am going to send our people out and have them go through the line with a camera and video that will let us know exactly where this bad spot is and what is causing it.  This normally costs $300, but we are going to do this free of charge." 
Wow--this will let us know the exact location (without spending anymore money) so that we can hopefully fix this thing ourselves.  Jehovah Jireh strikes again.
"The total bill is $205, minus your on-line coupon, brings it down to $185...' Jehovah Jireh provides with change to spare...
At first I was bummed we had to use the $200.  We figured that would be grocery money for later in the month.  Yet, as soon as I thought those words, The Word of words came to me: ''do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.' (Matt. 6:31-34) 
Oh, God, you're right as usual.  Why would I horde this money to provide for a future provision?  The Great Provider is in the business of providing our daily manna, our daily bread.  He provides day by day, step by step.  There is no need for striving and toiling after 'our plans'...He has already written the story from beginning to end, and since He created the universe and everything in it, shouldn't I trust that He's got it all under control?
Tomorrow's a new day--the great I AM who raises life from the dead can provide our future daily bread.   I'm sure of it.  
Do you struggle with running ahead of God with your own plans and agenda?  Are you trusting Jehovah Jireh, the One who Provides, for your ‘daily manna’? 
Dear Father, 
We have such a difficult time waiting.  Our culture demands us to hurry through our lives.  With our schedules packed and planned to the nth degree, we could easily be called the ‘Day Planner’ generation.  Forgive me for allowing my planning to quench your Spirit out of my day.  Instead, may I learn to give up my control and wait on You.  I specifically ask that You forgive me for not waiting on You for ________________________.  Oh, help me with this!  Give me patience and trust.  Help me with my unbelief!  Thank you that You want to answer this prayer. 
Thank you that you are—indeed—Jehovah Jireh, the Great Provider!  Lord, I pray that You would provide each woman at Deeper Still exactly what they need on June 10-11.  If they are struggling with fear, provide them with peace.  If they are struggling with unforgiveness, provide them with a forgiving heart.  If they are struggling in their marriage, provide them the courage to take that first step towards reconciliation.  It they are struggling with selfishness, provide them with the ability to put other’s first.  Whatever the struggle is, Lord, come through with Your sweet provision!
Lord, when we run ahead of You with our own agendas, we spend ourselves in our own strength, which leads to exhaustion.  Instead, may we hope and wait on You, Lord.  Then, You will renew our strength.  Then, we will soar on wings like eagles.  Then we will run and not grow weary.  Then, we will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31)

“Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord, We will wait upon the Lord, We will wait upon the Lord,
Our God, You reign forever, Our hope, our Strong Deliverer,
You are the everlasting God, the everlasting God, You do not faint You won’t grow weary,
You’re the defender of the weak, You comfort those in need, You lift us up on wings like eagles."

Thank you, sweet Jesus. 
In your trustworthy name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment