Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day Ninety!

The Marathon of the Christian Life

In the marathon of the Christian life there are a variety of competitors. Some are like jack rabbits; they start off strong and fast but burn out quickly due to inadequate training. Then there are those who spend too much time talking and laughing with the other participants. For them, it is just one big party and after awhile, they lose sight of actually ever finishing the race. Others, they spend their whole race focusing on the cramp in their foot, the ailment in their hip, last year’s injury that still hasn’t healed properly…their focus becomes the problem of the moment rather than the finish line—they, too, fade into the background. Some fail to plan appropriately. They forget to bring their water or wear the right kind of shoes—they don’t last long. Then there are those who are going strong until they get to the hills. The hills require bucking up and enduring some pain. Choosing comfort over the prize, they drop off. And then there are the ones who are too fearful to go it alone. They rely too heavily on their training partners and when their partners drop out, they just ‘follow the crowd’ and drop out too. Some are just too lazy; they would much rather be a spectator than actually be a part of the race. Others get so caught up in their sportswear and how they look that they forget that they’re even in a race. There are the overly competitive who are too concerned with how everyone else is racing. They spend all of their time and energy watching those around them, measuring themselves against their competition...after awhile their goal becomes more about others than attaining the prize… The super-athletic—the elite performers—everyone has their eye on them, for sure. Yet, they have made the race all about working and performing in their own strength...unfortunately for them, in the marathon of the Christian life, hard work ethic alone doesn’t cut it.

So, in the end, which competitors cross the finish line and attain the prize? It’s those that adequately prepare and train by getting up day after day, consistently putting in the hours of training, not because they want to beat everyone else, but because they are looking forward to running into the arms of their Savior. It’s those that are encouraged along the way by the cheers of their friends, yet they don't get sidetracked by their friends. It’s those who keep their focus on Christ and not on the cramps and ailments—tempted not to quit for the comfort of the temporary, for their eyes are on the Eternal One. It’s those who buck down and endure the tortuous hills, knowing the One to be gained in pain is most worthy of the cost. It’s those who aren't afraid to go it alone because they know that the prize at the finish is better than any temporal fellowship they might have along the way. It’s those who don't pour all their resources into their wasting-away, outer appearance; instead, they focus on the refined-by-fire, unseen imperishables, resulting in a rock-solid faith that carries them through the race. It’s those who don’t pridefully do it on their own, but realize the power is really in their weakness; letting go of their own ability, their Father infuses them with His strength and carries them across the finish line.

Which kind of competitor are you?

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 Cor. 9:24


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us (Heb. 12:1.)


Dear Heavenly Father,


Thank you that You are El Shaddai, the All-Sufficient God! Everything we need to live and function in this world comes from You and You alone! Lord, I sadly see myself in far too many of the competitors that are not running their race for You. I specifically see myself in ________________. Forgive me, Lord. Redeem this area of my life for You and Your glory alone! I want to persevere in the work You have for me; I do not want to start off strong and burn out before Your will is complete. I don’t want to waste my life on entertaining myself to death; I want my life to live under the umbrella of your purposes. As important as fellowship and other people are, I don’t want to put them and their relationships ahead of my relationship with You. Lord, make me strong in You so that I don’t easily give up when circumstances get hard. Make me aware of how much I rely on the comforts around me—show me when the comforts are causing complacency, so that I will actively purge them out of my life. Show me where I am just being downright lazy; may the love I have for You spur me on in my work ethic. Open my eyes to my vain preoccupation with my appearance. Show me the root of that sin in my life so that I can pull it out at it’s core! I know that I spend too much time comparing myself to those around me instead of just running the race You’ve marked out for me. Forgive me for this Lord. Nor, do I want to be preoccupied with stuff. It just snuffs Your spirit right out of my life. I don’t want to work in my own strength Lord, I want to rest in You and Your strength! Open up my eyes to the blind areas of my life! May I throw off all of these sins that so easily entangles and run with perseverance the race marked out for me (Heb. 12:1). I want to be the runner who runs to get the prize of Christ Jesus (1 Cor. 9:24)


Lord, there will be women at Deeper Still entangled in so many of the sins mentioned in this prayer… I pray that You will expose these blind areas to them. Open up their eyes! Apply Your healing balm to their wounds. Consecrate us all, Lord. Consecrate us all.


...Take my life and let it be, consecrated, Lord to thee.

Take my moments and my days, Let them flow in endless praise.

Take my hands and let them move, At the impulse of Thy love.

Take my feet and let them be, swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice and let me sing, always, only for my King.

Take my lips and let them be, filled with messages from Thee.

Take my silver and my gold, not a mite would I withhold.

Take my intellect and use, every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it Thine, It shall be no longer mine.

Take my heart, it is Thine own, It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord, I pour, at Thy feet its treasure store.

Take myself and I will be, ever, only, all for Thee, ever only all for Thee...
 
In Jesus Name, I pray all of these things, Amen.

You made it!

If you are reading this, than you have most likely completed thirty, sixty or ninety days of intercessory prayer—way to go, sister!  I am so proud of you. 
The closer we get to the finish, the more powerful our intercession will become.  Think of a snowball rolling down a mountain, packing on more and more snow…accumulating speed and becoming bigger and bigger until it is a full blown avalanche.  This is exactly what our prayers are doing as we are continue to intercede together.  They are gaining strength and power and might.  Oh, that our avalanche of prayer would shake the heavenlies and roll into the throne room with a thunderous roar!  Oh, that His throne room wouldbe so full of our intercession that He would have no choice but to descend upon us on June 10-11 in all His glory!
 Well done, good and faithful servant-sister.  Thank you, for your perseverance, for bearing the load—it is achieving an eternal purpose, a glory of all glories.  Until we meet at Deeper Still, in the midst of His renown, I leave you with this beautiful hymn:
The Servant Song
I will weep when you are weeping, when you laugh, I’ll laugh with you,I will share your joys and sorrow, ‘til this journey sees us true.
I will hold the Christ Light for you, in the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you,  speak the peace you long to hear.
We are travelers on a journey, fellow pilgrims on the road. 
We are here to help each other, walk the mile and bear the load. 

There will be a guest post this afternoon by a Lifeway staff member--don't miss reading this last post before the conference tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment